Apr 5, 2008

I never stop learning from some teachers.

Sometimes when Brady is sleeping, she whimpers, growls, yelps or wags her tail. The tail wagging cracks me up, and I can't help but wonder what she's dreaming about. Chasing a squirrel? Nibbling on something rotten? Wait, I know — her perfect life before Grace was born.

I had a dream a while ago that I was graduating, not from school, but moving from one phase of my life to another. I was my current age, but the dream was set in my old high school (why not?). I went to say goodbye to one of my teachers, and I was crying because I was afraid of what the future held. He encouraged me to stop trying to do everything perfectly and to focus on the things in my life that matter most to me. He said it was fine to let the rest be just okay. I woke up thinking this was probably some of the best advice I ever received. And then I put it to good use. I decided I could be a better, more present mother, wife, friend, daughter, person. I also started working like crazy to finish my novel. Now, quite a bit later, I feel a stronger connection with my family and community, and three agents are considering my novel. All because of some timely advice IN A DREAM.

No comments: